May 30, 2020
Tempeh Reuben Crunch Wraps With Thousand Island Dressing and Zesty Fries
Source: Original recipe link
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- ¼ cup Follow Your Heart® Soy-Free Vegenaise
- 6 oz coleslaw blend
- 1 russet potato
- 2 tsp lemon pepper blend
- 8 oz tempeh
- ½ cup sauerkraut
- ½ cup vegan cheddar cheese
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 tbsp + 4 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Make the dressing and coleslaw: Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, sweet pickle relish, just 3 tbsp Vegenaise, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir the thousand island dressing to combine. Add the remaining Vegenaise, coleslaw blend, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a medium bowl. Toss the coleslaw to combine and refrigerate until step 6.
- Roast the fries: Chop the russet potato into sticks about ½ inch thick. Transfer the chopped potatoes to a baking sheet and toss with lemon pepper blend and 2 tsp vegetable oil. Roast fries in the oven until browned and crisp in places, about 20 to 22 minutes.
- Crisp the tempeh: Slice the tempeh into thin triangles. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced tempeh and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until crispy and well browned, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Melt the cheese: Return the skillet to medium heat and add the sauerkraut to warm. Divide kraut into 2 piles in the pan and sprinkle each with cheddar cheese. Add 2 tbsp water, reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Build the wraps: Lay the whole wheat tortillas on a clean work surface and spread each with 1 tbsp thousand island dressing. Top with crispy tempeh and sauerkraut and cheddar. Carefully roll the wraps, tucking in the sides as you go.
- Serve: Wipe the skillet clean and return to medium heat with 2 tsp vegetable oil. Once hot, add the tempeh reuben wraps, seam side down, and cook until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Cut the wraps in half. Divide the wraps, coleslaw, and zesty fries between large plates. Serve with any remaining thousand island dressing for dipping. Enjoy!